Warriors News · Boys’ Basketball to Remain Competitive


by Jackson Hongtong ’21

The boys’ basketball team are expected to do well again this year, following a record of 13-9 last season. The team lost five seniors from last year, including three starters. Sherwood’s younger core, however, has developed to become a cohesive unit, which is what they will need to make a deep run in the playoffs.

“I think we are going to have a good season and possibly a good push in the postseason,” said junior Felix Kahan. “We have talent, chemistry, and a next-man up attitude that allows us to go 14 deep if needed.”

The Warriors started off the season with a bang, beating Einstein 70-36 on December 6. Sherwood ran a 12-man rotation, with senior Nate Lacey leading the pack in scoring with 22.

“It’s always good to start off with a win, but we can’t let it get to our heads. I feel like the team this year can surprise a lot of people,” said Lacey.

The boys were a second-round exit last year, losing to Springbrook by only six points. That loss marked three losses to Springbrook last season, with Sherwood losing by a point in the first encounter and by 13 in their second game. This third game followed their 10-point win against Urbana in the first round of the playoffs.

In the last five years, Sherwood has not made much noise in the playoffs, considering they haven’t made it past the second round. Reaching the third round or even further is what the team should aim for this upcoming season.

The team’s next game will be played away this Friday on December 13 against Richard Montgomery at 7:15.

 

https://thewarrioronline.com